Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Beasts of the Southern Wild


To point it out right way, yes, it's another personal illustration based on a movie (in case you didn't pick up on the fact that this is a trend, see examples here, here, here, and here) This time, it's the beautiful film Beasts of the Southern Wild, directed by Benh Zeitlin. It's a sincerely unique and powerful film, from the vision of the Bathtub to the impressive performances by Quvenzhané Wallis and Dwight Henry or the wonderful, Malick-like cinematography by Ben Richardson.
I'm still not positive why I had wanted to do this piece. Maybe it was the opportunity to draw a creature as unique as the film's auroch or to try and capture the strength in the wonderful and magnetic Quvenzhané Wallis as Hushpuppy. Either way, I was dying to do it.

Sketches

Pencils
Auroch fur texture
Hushpuppy detail
Auroch detail
I was initially planning on holding off on the release of this piece until it's release on Blu-ray and DVD on December 4th, but it turns out that someone from the Beasts Twitter (@BeastsTheMovie as well as @thebathtubber) noticed some small previews I had posted on Dribbble. They asked if they could share the piece on their blog! You can check out their post about my piece here along with a little blurb I wrote about what the piece and film mean to me.
Be sure to check out the film if you haven't yet when it comes out on Blu-ray and DVD on December 4th.

"I see that I am a little piece of a big, big universe, and that makes it right." -Hushpuppy

--CKL--

UPDATE: This piece is now available as a print as well as iPhone/iPod cases and stationery cards at my Society6 store,www.society6.com/cameronklewis

3 comments:

  1. Hiya, do you sell prints of your work? I would love this on my bedroom wall, it's a really lovely piece and Beasts of the Southern Wild is one of my all time favourite films

    ReplyDelete